The Georgia Millage Rate process is a complex and sometimes confusing topic, but is nevertheless a process of utmost importance to local government citizens and property owners. City/county clerks and finance/budget directors must be highly educated on the Millage Rate as part of their financial management skills set. This course serves as an exhaustive look into property taxation by any specific jurisdiction, including transparency with the general public about this process, the actual tax collection procedures, and tips to reading and understanding a real tax bill.
Please note there are two methods to register for this course. Click the Single Registration button to register and pay online. To request an invoice, click the Single Registration button, and then select Checkout. Log in with your account information. Under payment method, select "Request for Invoice." Once you click this option, you must then select "Company Invoice" under Choose Payment Method. You will receive an email with the invoice attached.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant should be able
- Recite definitions of key terminology
- Recall the key players in the property tax process
- Discuss three different views of property taxes
- Calculate property tax based on digest and millage rate values
- Recite Georgia laws applicable to tax digest valuation
- Discuss required elements of digest submission package
- Calculate required rollbacks for local option sales tax and insurance premium tax
- Recall advertising requirements for levying property taxes
- Estimate property tax revenue
- Discuss how to present property tax information to citizens and elected officials
Credits: Participants will earn 7.2 CPE, .6 CEU, 6 Contact Hours
Attendance Policy: Our classroom training requires attendance during all parts of the instructional program. Instructors are required to take attendance and cannot approve student absences during class time. Please carefully consider your schedule when selecting class dates.
Field of Study: Finance - Technical
Who Should Attend? This course is for local and state government accounting and financial reporting professionals and others responsible for oversight and administration of a local government’s finances.
Advance Preparation: None
Program Level: Basic
Delivery Method: Group Live for classroom and Group Internet-Based for online
University of Georgia, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: https://www.nasbaregistry.org
Contact: For more information regarding refunds, concerns, and program cancellation policies, please contact Sue Joe, email@example.com.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Level II Finance Officer Certification : Elective Courses